During sexual reproduction the offspring receives two alleles for each gene – one from each parent. The combination of alleles can be predicted if we know the alleles that each of the offspring's parents have.
It is important that you understand by the end of this unit…
- How to predict the genotype of an offspring.
- How to draw out genetic diagrams for single gene inheritance.
- How to interpret genetic family trees.
- How the sex of an organism is predicted.
- Higher – how Mendel's work has helped us understand genetics.